Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Water, Rain & Drought Conditions

It rained today, and there were scattered thunderstorms, both this morning and this afternoon. According to the evening news, we received 1.5 inches of rain. A weather site I just checked says we received 1.28 inches of rain. Regardless of the actual amount, it rained. Today adds to an already rainy spring.

It is the middle of June. I have not yet turned on the sprinklers for the yard yet this year. Most years the sprinklers are on in late April or very early May. Monday when I pulled into the driveway it looked like the yard was going to need to be watered, but the evening weather prognosticator said it would rain on Wednesday. So I held off. Wisely, obviously.

For the last several years, we have been, according to the maps published in the local newspaper, in drought or semi-drought conditions. The lakes in the area reflected that because the shorelines were 20 to 30 feet out from where they should be.

Last Friday I took this picture at Branched Oak Lake:


larger image


The tree line you see in the picture is now about 20 to 30 feet out. Last year the area between the rocks in the foreground and the trees was a mass of weeds and plant life. It was ugly. I wish I had a photograph from last summer, just for comparison sake.

Water is an invaluable resource no matter where one lives. I'm thankful for the rain we have received this year, and thankful the lakes are at the level they are supposed to be.

No comments: