Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Goslings are Growing up

Phew, summer colds can really knock you for a loop.

Monday morning I went to my favorite lake. While I was there a small flock of American White Pelicans circled the lake and descended. For such large birds, they certainly are graceful. Pelicans do not spend the summer in this part of Nebraska. There are some that summer in the north central part of the state, but not here. So I was suprised to see them. They do summer in and nest in South Dakota.

Yesterday, I gave into the cold and just hunkered down. This morning, I went back to the lake, and the pelicans were still there.

The goslings are really growing. I watched two engage in a little friendly sibling jostling. The parents looked on without interceding. Some of the older goslings are begining to look like teenagers.


larger image

No comments: