Friday, June 15, 2007

Northern Bobwhite

I have a window mount for my spotting scope, so I can use the scope from the car. Recently I have been using the window mount for the camera also. It was a real hassle to be swapping the gear back and forth, so I decided to get another mount. I hate to have a new toy, and not be able to play with it. So Tuesday afternoon I went out to Twin Lakes SWMA. Don't go there very often, but it was close and I thought it would be a good place to play with the new toy. Got some photos of a female Brown-headed Cowbird taking a bath at the edge of the lake, and saw a pair of Northern Bobwhites.

This morning I decided to go back and see if I could get a photo of a "prettier" bird taking a bath, and maybe see the Bobwhites again. Apparently no one was feeling the need of a bath this morning, but I did see a male Northern Bobwhite. Isn't he pretty?


larger image


Thought it was interesting that he has been banded. Wonder where.

Bobwhites nest on the ground. The female lays an egg a day, up to 10-15 total. The eggs are incubated for about 23 days. The younguns can fly after two weeks, they are nearly full grown at 15 weeks, and look like an adult.

No comments: