Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Lady Bird Johnson

I love wildflowers. I love the challenge of photographing them. I love to see them swaying in the breeze. Wildflowers sparked my interest in the greater outdoors and how they fit into our universe in general.

Lady Bird Johnson passed away earlier today.

The next time you pay a visit to Washington, D.C. and the tulips and daffodils are blooming, remember to say thank you to Lady Bird.

The next time you drive down a scenic highway and there are no billboards, remember to say thank you to Lady Bird. Lady Bird wanted the Highway Beautification Act of 1965 passed, and Lyndon Johnson made sure it got passed for his wife's sake.

If you visit the Hill Country of Texas in the spring and experience the beauty of the wildflowers, you can thank the influence of Lady Bird for that also.

There are so many more things that I should give her credit for, but those are the ones that come to mind. I'm sure others will do so far more eloquently than I.


LBJ Library Photo by Frank Wolfe


Thank you Lady Bird for a race well run.

No comments: