Thursday, August 30, 2007

Even More Butterflies

Today was a lovely day. Made up for the past week.

When I left the house, it was in the upper 50's and it was a joy to be out and about.

Branched Oak Lake was the destination of choice this morning. I was about ready to leave one area of the park and move on to another one, when I noticed a graveled area that seemed to have a couple of butterflies fluttering about. So I ambled over to see what I could see. What I saw was one of those extraordinary sights that you come upon from time to time. There were a couple of trees, maple I believe, and they must have been oozing sap. The trunk and some of the branches had numerous butterflies, wasps, and flies.

The vast majority of the butterflies were Hackberry Emperors


larger image


larger image


There were also several Red-spotted Purples


larger image


And several Eastern Commas. They all seemed to be rather tattered.


larger image


None of my group photos of these butterflies turned out very well (the lighting was really tricky).

I paid a visit to my mid 90's mother this afternoon who has mild dementia. It was a pleasant visit. Anyone who has dealt with someone with dementia knows there are pleasant times, and not so pleasant times. One has to be thankful for pleasant times.

As I said, a lovely day!

No comments: