Friday, May 25, 2007

It Was a Flowers and Bugs Day

When I left the house a little before 7 this morning, it was 46 degrees. Unusually cool for this time of year. I have lived in Nebraska since 1990 and I don't remember ever still wearing jeans this late in the year. But it was a beautiful morning, sunny with white fluffy clouds. It made one glad to be alive and out and about.

I had last traversed this road out of town a week ago, and it was immediately obvious that the wildflowers were now blooming, big time. It was even more obvious when I turned off on the gravel road to my favorite lake. Just oodles and oodles of them. Wild roses has been blooming in isolated areas, but now they were everywhere.



I was amazed to see a pair of American White Pelicans. The last time I had seen pelicans was on May 1, so this pair is really straggling behind the rest of the migration. Except for these stragglers, I think the spring migration is over in this part of Nebraska. Saw only birds that one would expect to see here in the summer, and have no photographs of birds, other than another beautiful Red-headed Woodpecker.

After exploring my favorite birding areas, I headed down to Branched Oak Lake. The first campground I got to, (about 10am) already had a sign up that all the sites with electricity were taken. I didn't check any of the other campgrounds out, I stayed in areas where there is no camping to optimize the opportunity to see birds. Again, there was nothing out of the ordinary.

Before leaving the park, I did a little wildflower photography. One of the things I love about flowers is there are always bugs on them. I never used to pay much attention to them, but for the last year or so I have been trying to identify them also. Today I got this guy. Turns out he is a Paper Wasp. While figuring out for sure what he was, I figured out that a picture I took last November was of a Paper Wasp Nest. So my reserch ended up in being a twofer!.



Got another picture of an insect, but I have as yet to identify him. Research can be both rewarding and frustrating.

The weather guy is predicting rain and thunder in the morning. I hope he's wrong so I can be out and about again tomorrow.

No comments: