Saturday, April 10, 2010

More Laguna Atascosa NWR

At Laguna Atascosa there is a stretch of beach where the Osprey gather with their "catch of the day". Sometimes there would be between twelve and twenty Osprey at a time. I don't think I have ever seen that many Osprey together, at one time, anywhere else. Most of the time they were out of the reach of my camera, but one day I got lucky and this guy was fairly close to the road.



When one has food, one has lots of friends! Getting help from a Ring-billed gull and a Ruddy turnstone


Further up the road this guy wasn't having to share.


One of the times I drove this section of the refuge tour, there was an Osprey flying with his catch. I thought if I sped up I might be able to get far enough ahead of him to catch a photo of him flying. I was doing 20mph and not keeping up. The speed limit on the refuge is 15mph so I gave up the chase. sigh

1 comment:

Kathie Brown said...

What magnificent birds!