Friday, April 9, 2010

More Laguna Atascosa NWR

Before I get to the birds of Laguna Atascosa....

Mosquitoes love me. If there's one within a mile, it will find me. I've never been a big fan of any mosquito repellent, but have used it out of necessity. Last fall a friend told me that she had read somewhere that putting a fabric softener dryer sheet in your pocket would repel mosquitoes. I was sceptical. When I was packing up stuff, getting ready to leave Rockport/Fulton I put the box of dryer sheets in the front of the car so I could try it, if the occasion presented itself. There were mosquitoes at Laguna Atascosa, so I put one in the pocket of my tee shirt and used no mosquito repellent. My scepticism was not warranted. Over a three day period, I got no bites. And there were mosquitoes in the area, and in the car. I will continue to use this method of repellant and see if it works elsewhere. If they love you too...well give it a try. Anything is better than that awful slimy stuff they sell as repellant!

This is a White-tipped dove. Like the Green jay in the post immediately below, the bird books show their range as barely getting into Texas from Mexico. So it's not a bird one can see just anywhere!

No comments: