Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Some Whooping Crane Information And Resources

While I was on the Texas coast I had the privilege of seeing and photographing some Whooping cranes.



There are about 400 Whooping cranes in the wild and seeing four of them, well it was just simply awesome.

Refuge Watch is a website that I frequently check. Today they posted a link to an AP article about a young whooper that was bitten by a poisonous snake five years ago.

At the bottom of the article there is a link to another article that talks about the whoopers and the blue crabs that are their primary food source while wintering on the Texas coast.

birdRockport.com features the reports of Tom Stehn, the Whooping Crane Coordinator at Aransas NWR. His last post is dated March 15. So far this year, there has only been one whooper death in their wintering grounds. Compared to last year when 23 died, I would say this has been a very good year for the whoopers.

I hope to return to the Texas coast next year. Perhaps I will take one of the boat trips that promise that you can see and photograph whoopers. Plans are what you make until you know what you have done, so we shall see.

No comments: