Monday, March 22, 2010

Aransas NWR

Taking a break from birds....

Saw a few mammals at Aransas NWR. First up is this Raccoon eating some bread in a picnic area.



A Nine-banded armadillo was out and about foraging. They eat insects. Seems like it would take a lot of insects to fill up it's tummy.


Last, but not least, is the Wild boar or Feral hog. They are a cross between domestic hogs and imported wild boar. They were on the refuge when it was established in 1937. There have been efforts to remove them in the past, but they are common on the refuge. They are shy and I felt quite fortunate to photograph this guy as I was leaving the refuge the last time I visited.

1 comment:

Kathie Brown said...

We traveled through AR but didn't stop here. Still, It was a surprisingly beautiful place and I loved it! I would like to go back!