Monday, January 14, 2008

Isn't He/She Cute?

Did the Schramm, Louisville, Platte River State Park tour again today.

At Louisville, I saw this little guy/gal on the ground under a tree, and at first I thought it was a cat. Was totally surprised when the "cat" raised it's head and I realized it was an Opossum. By the time I could grab the camera it was up the tree.


larger image


According to one book I have, Opossums have litters of up to 14 kits. Each kit is about the size of a honey bee. After birth the kits climb into the mother's pouch, where they nurse for several months. After they emerge from the pouch they ride on the mother's back. When they are mature, they have 50 teeth. That is more than any other mammal in the U.S.

Took some bird photos too. Will post them tomorrow.

No comments: